Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1998 sea ray 180 , 3.0 mercrusier, will not start

Customer Question

I have a 1998 sea ray 180 , 3.0 mercrusier, will not start . Was recently running, with in the last day. Clicking noise from what sounded like the solenoid but would start. Put on a new starter-solenoid last year. Dash gauges [temp-trim-oil-gas ] do not function when key is turned, lights do not work. Rear power trim motor does work. I checked the main ground on the rear flywheel housing and the battery terminal area, no corrosion, appears in good condition. Does the ignition switch control all
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** need to do some voltage tests. Do you have a volt meter?Have you checked the fuses in the fuse panel as lights and boat accessories are on a different circuit from the engine. The gauges will be on the engine circuit so we do have a voltage issue on the engine components. The accessories are on a separate power source check for an inline fuse at the battery on the power supply to the fuse panel. Could I get the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will pick up a meter tonight, checked the fuses under the dash, all are fine. The rear trim works fine, able to raise and lower the lower unit. .. engine serial number is ***** thanks, Rick
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok Rick let me know what you find from these tests. Test the voltage on the battery cable connection on the starter when key is in crank position. What is the voltage reading. Test for voltage on the engine circuit breaker # ***** both terminals. If no voltage then the fuse # ***** on the starter is blown. If you have voltage on one terminal push real hard on the breaker button. Do you have voltage on both terminals now? If no the breaker is bad. Now if you have voltage on both terminals on the circuit breaker we need to check for voltage on the key switch red/purple wire. http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jacksparrow1956/125d8dfa-b774-49ba-bf80-ff03805efc14_LX8i7RtL.png Post back with findings.