Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

8v92ti 600hp inj 9215 black smoke from idle to 2300 rpm. whats

Customer Question

8v92ti 600hp inj 9215 black smoke from idle to 2300 rpm. whats up?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Mike, thanks for your question....It sounds like the engine is being starved of air.... try removing the air cleaner and running it without for a test, if it clears up then the air filter is clogged. Try this first and get back to me with your findings and we'll take it from there. Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi mike my name is joe
already done this yesterday. problem started after replacing inj from 145s to 9215 same turbos garrett gt 4708r . other engine ok.
bye the way problem engine goes to 2250rpm under load and picks up well
joe
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe, the engine is getting too much fuel with the new injectors and not enough air at lower speeds... You might have to reduce the injection timing a bit to rectify this problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi mike
i ll get dd reps to do that on wed and get back to u.
regards joe
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
ok Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi mike
dd came over adjusted racks. very slight improvment. up to 1350rpm no smoke after black smoke starts @abt 2150rpm smoke gets less .no problem getting to 2350rpm even holding other engine @2000rpm
joe
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe,first, I'm a little confused by what you wrote... You're saying that it is ok up to 1350rpm then starts smoking at 2150rpm? what is happening from 1350 to 2150rpm and why are you using the 1350rpm a reference if it's good up til then and al the way up 2150rpm? Also, what is the DD rep telling you ? by being there and running your engine the y should be able to tell you much more than i am able to at this point. Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi mike
it starts to smoke on reaching 1350rpm and all the way up to 2350rpm
they said that they will come back tomorrow as they cant understand the problem and want to do more sea trials
joe
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for clarifying that.... I understand that they are going to come back and I want you to be satisfied with your experience here. So, if they can offer a solution when they come tomorrow just let me know what they found and if you want I can request a refund for you. Otherwise bring me up to date on what they tell you and I will continue to assist you. Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe, Have you found anything.... what did the DD reps say when they came back?
Let me know if you still need help... I'm doing all I can with the info that I have.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe, do you still need help? Please don't forget to click on the accept button if my answers have been helpful. This is the only way we are credited for our time.