Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

My tilt/trim on my Mariner 60hp motor will not stay up when

Customer Question

My tilt/trim on my Mariner 60hp motor will not stay up when traveling in the water, however it will stay up when docked?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, what is the year and model number of your Mariner? Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mariner
1997
Mfg. ID# *****
Model#(###) ###-####
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.... the most likely cause for this is the trim pump reservoir being low on fluid causing air bubbles to be introduced into the hydraulic system. If that is the case then it is probably low because there is a leak in the system somewhere. When the boat is sitting in the water do you ever see a small oil sheen around the motor?To check/fill the fluid, it's much easier to have the boat on a trailer because you need to access the tilt/trim pump under the motor. Raise the motor all the way up and flip the manual trailer lock into the locked position. Remove the reservoir fill cap (either yellow or black ), if no fluid comes out then it is low and you need to top it off with power trim tilt fluid(any brand is fine). Then cap it off, release the lock and run the tilt up and down through it's full range a few times to bleed out any air in the system.Try this first and get back to me with your findings and we'll take it from there. Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help with your trim/tilt issue Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8/3/15
Haven't had a chance to utilize your suggestion.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
ok, well the question time out soon. You will find that this method does work for bleeding the air out of your tilt/trim system so if you feel that my answer was helpful please do not forget to use the rating feature as this is the only way that we are credited for our time.
Sincerely,