Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2012 Mercury 15hp 4 stroke that will not go into gear

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Mercury 15hp 4 stroke that will not go into gear Throttle and shift cables are ok. took the lower unit off and it shifts ok. but cannot turn throttle on tiller handle without pushing the button on the side of the case. Even after pushing the button the motor will rev but it stays in nuetral
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** the idle RPM of the engine? If it is over 1000 RPM the engine will be very hard to shift. When you press the button on the side of the engine, that is the shift bypass, the engine will stay in Neutral. There are a few items that can cause this issue. First being the tiller itself. "Look at the underside of it and make sure that near the pivot end there is a clamp on it to hold it in. It is black and held in place with a 10mm Bolt.