Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Wnated to view answer, looks like my thermostat is only opening

Customer Question

wnated to view answer, looks like my thermostat is only opening once in a while
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
I don't understand your question, how is it I can help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah, sorry, looked at a google response to omc 2.3L 1989 engine problem. I have a 1989 VIP Vision which I recently bought. Seems to be acting like the thermostat is not opening when it should all the time. My mechanic, who I bout the boat from and have no faith in blames me for weeds, but the engine gets hot, runs rough, then wont start. I have been stuck on lake in this boat 3 out of 3 times. The mechanic claims he put in a new waterpump, gears, starter, and says it may be bad gas. Sounds to me like a bad thermostat.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If it's overheating that would not be a gear or starter problem. That is typically either an impeller or thermostat issue. That being said, what kinds of questions did you have? I don't know what it is you might have read unless you share the link with me. Did you need pictures of the thermostat or was there something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The linkk was elementary, but if you have pictures that would be great. I am going to attempt to figure out whats wrong myself. Im an exec at a software company, but used to be pretty handy. I am trying to figure out how to approach this easiest solutions first. Also, could bad gas be an issue? I dont know how long the gas that was in the tank was there.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
In the links from the customers end you are only allowed to see a little bit of information, they block out the entire interaction. Is the engine actually overheating, what kind of temps is the gauge in the boat reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were out in 75 degree water. The engine warmed up to 180 in maybe 10 minutes, then it cooled down to 160 at a slow cruising speed. After about 10 more minutes of cruising a bit faster, it went up to 200-220 and stayed between there. We slowed down to idle, it stalled, restarted but stalled again every time we put it in gear. We waited about 45 min, it didnt go below 200 and we were able to get it going, it ran rough and we limped to the ramp.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. That does sound like a thermostat issue. Click this link below to pull up a parts diagram. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/SternDrive/1989/232BMRMEF/COOLING,%20EXHAUST%20&%20OIL%20PAN/parts.html The thermostat is located in the front of the exhaust manifold. It is #22 in the picture. Did you have any further qeustions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.
Thank you
Jason