Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

The starter pull cord on my Mercury Outboard is stuck in the

Customer Question

The starter pull cord on my Mercury Outboard is stuck in the full extended position. How do I repair this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
More than likely your starter spring has broken. The recoil starter will need to come off the engine the large reel removed and the spring underneath replaced. It is not that bad a job if you have done one before but can be a bit dangerous as the spring is under a lot of tension. Wear gloves and safety glasses or better a face shield when working on it.If you decide to do it yourself I would recommend a oem service manual. Although I would be glad to help walk you through it.