Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

There, I have a 96 speedster. im having issues starting

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 96 speedster. im having issues starting
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** engine is going to be harder to turn over until that excess wear ring is removed. It should be best to use a file to do it and nit the impeller.The right engine sounds like either a cable or a battery issue. Have battery load tested. If it fails the test, replace it. If it passes, measure the voltage going to the starter both before and during starting. If it falls below 9.5V replace the cables.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,I seem to think that when in neutral position. The impeller isn't spinning. Thus, this shouldnt be the issue for not starting. As i understand the engine struggling to turn over. It must be something else.Your thoughts?
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.
On a jet boat the impeller is always spinning when the engine is turning. Neutral just moves the reverse bucket down half way over the jet nozzle.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
There is no gear case on a jet boat like an outboard or I/O engine. You can shift the boat with the engine off and watch the bucket move clear of the jet to give you FWD, and then into REV it will totally block the jet. This is all that there is to the jet shift. The Crank is spinning when the engine is turning over, the impeller is hard coupled to the crank.