K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

I have a 1980 75 hp Evinrude. Starts and runs on choke only.

Customer Question

I have a 1980 75 hp Evinrude. Starts and runs on choke only. Dies immediately after I open choke.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The symptoms you are describing are due to dirty carbs, that require cleaning. To do this you would need to first remove the carbs from the engine and open the bowls. Remove the needles and all gaskets, and soak them in carb cleaner. Allow to soak for a couple of hours and then blow with compressed air. Reassemble everything and you should be ok. If you require further assistance let me know. Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You need to refund my fee. You most certainly do not have to pull carbs to clean the needle valves. There is only one needle valve per carb at the float. Imagine all three needle valves stuck simultaneously, not gonna happen. I used carb cleaner and a very small wire to clear jets. You almost sent me down a three or four path with your advice and I will not pay for your "{stock answer" End of subject!
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** definitely not getting enough gas supplied by the carbs, possibly low float levels.Did you remove and disassemble the carbs to clean them?
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
If there is any gas in the carbs when the boat is stored, it will evaporate and leave behind a gummy residue that will not dissolve easily.It's very common for outboard motors to need carb kits after storage.