Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have 2010 Yamaha 115 motor. The motor was overheating shutting down two cylinders. We di

Customer Question

I have 2010 Yamaha 115 motor. The motor was overheating shutting down two cylinders. We did a compression check on all 4 cylinders they have 150lbs on each one. I replaced water pump and it was bad so I replaced it. The problem is we are still not getting water out of the water port on the back of the engine.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Are you testing the engine in the water or on a hose?
When you blew air through the line, did you hear it exit the gear case?
Was the old impeller intact still?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Testing it with a hose but its always worked before. When I hook the water house up to the top it comes out of the port. If I put muffles on the the bottom of motor it does come out of the port. It has always come out when I hooked it up on the bottome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not come out of the port if I hook it up with the attachment on bottom of motor
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, That is not unusual for a Yamaha motor. Some times they will work on a hose and other times they will not. Can you either put the motor in a tank or back it into the lake and see it it will pump water.