Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

90 horse 2 stroke, motor starts fine but when I try to get

Customer Question

90 horse 2 stroke, motor starts fine but when I try to get on plane the rpm rise but the motor loses power
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
When you say the rpms rise but the motor looses power. Would it be fair if I said the engine is reving, but there is little thrust from the propeller? Would that accurately describe the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Garry, yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Garry. Have you ever heard of, or are you famliar with the term propeller hub?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The inside of the prop uses a hard, press fit rubber hub. The hub is what couples the propeller to the propeller shaft. It's design is sacrificial in that if you ever hit the bottom, hit a log, pick up some rope ect the hub would slip and sacrifice itself and spin so you don't damage the rest of the lower unit, gears, bearings and shafts. They spin if you hit something, and they also can spin if they are old props, as rubber does dry rot and shrink over time. Once they have spun, they will grab somewhat at lower rpms, and then let go when you really put the power down. And that is whey it feels like it is jumping into neutral on you.Most people buy a new prop so they can use the boat right away. And You can send also the prop out to have it re-hubbed by a propeller repair shop. On average it runs 75 to 100 dollars. If you do not know where a propeller repair shop is in your area just call your closest dealer. This isn't brand specific, so you could call any dealer or boatyard, as all dealers/boatyards deal with propeller repair shops. And they will be able to tell you were your closest prop repair shop is, or they would just send it out for you. I think that should do it. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, just checking in. No rating has been done yet so I wanted to make sure that I got all your questions answered on the issue. If there was anything you needed clarification on by all means please ask.
Thanks,
Jason