Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

I put on new out drive on my1976 seaswril and checked the

Customer Question

I put on new out drive on my1976 seaswril and checked the steering before hand the outdrive turned fine also the sterring on the boat but when married up the sterring wheel only moves about one quarter of turn
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. What is the make of the drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
omc
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I can't help on this one. I will opt out if someone can help they will step in.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, you have a Stringer Mount style drive.... what you need to do is remove the drive(mainly) the four pivot/mounting bolts enough to pull the drive away from the steering gear.... next, turn the steering wheel lock to lock and count the turns, then turn the wheel back from lock half that amount so it's centered.. Now remount the drive and test the steering, you should have full range. I hope this helps, let me know if you need further assistance. Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that already , is there a different size gears on the shaft that goes through the intermediate housing ,or the shaft maybe bent because the gear housing froze up on the outdrive and pancaked the ball gears but still work fine with old outdrive on it.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I follow you...... try turning the steering ball gear on the stern drive to see if it makes the top half of the drive rotate
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
With the drive off or pulled back obviously
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to make the new drive turn by turning the steering gear on the front of the upper unit? Mike