Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2008 4.3 alpha II stern drive. When I start it, it

Customer Question

I have a 2008 4.3 alpha II stern drive. When I start it, it only ejects water from one side. I thought I may have to wait for the thermostat to open. The other side started to eject only small amounts of water when the thermostat opened. In the engine compartment, one exhaust bank is cool (the water ejecting side) while the other is hot (the minimal water ejecting side). What could be causing this? What other trouble shooting steps should I do? I appreciate your help. The impellar is only 2 years old with very little use.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Pull the hose off the manifolds while engine is running comparing the water volume from the cool side to the hot side. Are both sides getting the same volume of water? The water pump is due to be serviced. A pump that sits unused is as bad as a allot of hours. The impeller becomes stiff and doesn't pump efficiently.