Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

25hp Suzuki DF fuel injected outboard with electric start.

Customer Question

25hp Suzuki DF fuel injected outboard with electric start. RPMs are just fine at speeds up to about 10 miles per hour, as throttle is increased motor begins to bogg down as if it were either starving for fuel or being over fueled. what is the cause and possibilities?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to.It sounds like fuel starvation to me. Is there a primer bulb installed on the fuel line?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jason, yes their is a fuel hand pump bulb in line. However just prior to this problem, I purchased a new fuel tank with the CA emission inline release system. The engine would not run properly, so while out in the lake, I removed the CA emission system and put the original bulb back on. That didn't help so I took the vented cap off the old tank gas tank and put it on the new tank. The only thing left to do, would be to swictch back to original tank or unscrew new tank connection and refit old tank connection. What do you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also just took the fuel filter out and forced air thru both ends it seems fine.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Let me ask you this. Did you notice if the primer bulb has sucked flat? If not could you pump it over and over to force fuel tot he engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I think the engine bulb was flat. I was able to pump it up and I even continued pumping by hand as I attempted to bring the boat up on plane
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
By flat I mean the bulb itself is sucked flat. You would not be able to pump it at all. Was it sucked flat, or did it reinflate on it's own after pumping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did re-inflate on its own, also please note I mad a mistake it is not fuel injected it is carburated
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Carbureted is a different story. Have you done compression and spark output testing on the engine yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have not, but I also notice a bit of knocking in the engine when attempting to advance the throttle
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
How old is the fuel, and when was the last time this ran correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuel is new ( one month) its the fuel tank that I replaced that generated all of the problems. I almost have the original tank and lines back together. I will put new fuel in the old tank, its clean. I also will go out and pull the spark plugs to see if they are wet.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Go ahead and do that. But if the engine still does not run correctly it is almost certain that the carb needs to be rebuilt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just looking at the 3 stacked carbs, they accuate as one when the throttle is pushed, but the 3 steped positions next to the throttle body are not linked to the accuater and do nothing. ( I notced a ring clip postion is not linked to the 3 in anyway, and the clip and lingage not present
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I don't understand a word you said. Can you clarify that for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason thank you very much for your help. I am very inept when it comes to mechanics.. I don't even know how to describe what I am seeing. I will put new fuel in the old tank tomorrow and see if it runs better. Last year I took it to a mechanic that said one of the set screws on one of the carbs was striped and that it could not be adjusted again. He suggested that I buy a new carb. I think if I was going to buy one, I should probably buy all 3. Also their no longer is a Suzuki dealer in Redding calif. I have not been able to find one within a 100 miles. Do you have any other suggestings, the lift ram leaks very slightly, about a themble full per month. But the ram can"t be rebuilt and cost about $1300.00 with that and 3 carbs at about $1000.00 I am starting to think that it is about time to buy a new motor. This one is actually a 2000, making it about 16 years old. But the DF 25 is supposed to be one of the best engines available. Could you please just give me some advice, thanks Dave
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Can you send me a picture or two of what you are looking at?