Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Merc 110 9.8hp will only run if I prime it. cleaned carb. leaking

Customer Question

merc 110 9.8hp will only run if I prime it. cleaned carb. leaking gas on right hand side around fuel pump area
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motor has to be primed while running to keep it going. The fuel leak I mentioned is when boat is off. Replaced all gaskets and made sure all ports where in clogged. Bought a new fuel tank with hose assembly. Already replaced water impeller. Can this be an exhaust issue? Did not mess with float just took off to get to jets
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you squeeze the primer bulb do you have any leaks in the fuel system on the engine?.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put gas line back on outboard and gas is just pouring out of side where fuel filter is and the port where the choke is
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the leaks are the problem we need to fix the leaks. The fuel pouring out of the carburetor is a stuck or bad inlet needle.Can you pin point exactly where the fuel is coming out of where the fuel filter is located? Could I get the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####fuel is coming out of the fuel filter side (on the left) and out of the choke area when choke is closed
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Can you look at the # ***** and see if it is cracked. Is the fuel coming out from around the cover # ***** and seal # *****? This leak will allow the engine to suck air causing the engine performance issue. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/110/4839254-thru-5206549-usa/carburetor-assembly-complete When the choke is pulled it will leak fuel out the front of the carburetor. Post back with findings on the leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No crack in cover but yes it is leaking from the 31 gasket
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30 I meen ;)
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok is the screw loose on the cover # *****? See if you can move the cover up and down. If yes snug the screw then see if it still leaks. If it does you will have to replace the gasket # ***** Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Earlier today it was just dripping from 25 the fuel pump gasket
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok all these gaskets starting to leak is a sign of gasket failure. Have you rebuilt this portion of the carb/fuel pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes every gasket is new. Bought the rebuild kit yesterday
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried tightening the screws to stop the leak? If they won't stop leaking then you will have to replace the pump body parts #24 & 27.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's pouring out from the same spot that the excess comes out when you over prime it
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
If it is coming out the vent that is normal from to much pressure that is the carburetor over flowing. The inlet needle will lift off the seat under to much pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the pic? Gas is also pouring out at 16 in the choke area
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pouring out from the filter cover is the gasket isn't sealing or is pinched or misaligned. On the other one this is either to much pressure from squeezing the primer bulb or the float is not adjusted in the carb correctly allowing the inlet needle to not seat correctly. How hard are you squeezing the primer bulb? You should only squeeze it till firm and stop squeezing. You can over power the inlet needle with to much pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Funny part is. I have not touched the primer bulb. I just put gas line on and it pours like crazy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Earlier today I had to prime it to keep it running. Then I gave up and took gas line off. Found you on line. And when I went out to motor and hooked up the gas line then this started
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the reason you had to keep squeezing the primer bulb was the fuel pump was sucking air around the filter cover. Is the vent open on the gas can? We have to fix the leaks in the fuel cover. Have you pulled the filter cover off and inspected the seal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got gas to stop pouring out by squeezing the primer bulb. 1 small drip at gasket 22
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not tried to start motor again. But feel I will be where I was when I gave up earlier today
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
If gas leaks out air will leak in. You have to fix any leaks. Did you try tightening the screws on the fuel pump? Did you remove the filter cover and inspect the seal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, took carb apart again and put back together. Got it back on motor but cannot try it out till morning. We are getting hit with a severe thunderstorm right now. In NH. Will let you know in morning what happened
Marc
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok Marc. I'm on in the morning at 8am PST so my time is later than yours. I will be on tomorrow. Thank you......Tan I think this is just a case of these gaskets not fitting together good. Is this an after market kit?