Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1998 Chaparral Sunesta 232 deck boat. While out a

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Chaparral Sunesta 232 deck boat. While out a couple nights ago my lights on the boat, bilge, depth gauge, horn...everything on this one particular panel has lost power. However the blower still and instrument panel (speed, fuel...) works and the boats starts fine and runs fine otherwise.
I have gone in and found a 15 amp and 7.5amp fuse right off of the engine cutt-off switch and checked both visually and neither seem to be burned or look as if they have been blown.
I have also gone to the black breaker box where the main circuit breaker is located and tried to reset that as well as check the fuses in there and nothing appears to be blown there either.
I did replace my bulbs in navigation lights prior to this happening, but the lights worked for most of the boat ride until the very end when they all went out.
I cant seem to find any other fuses that could affect this issue. While this seems to be a fuse issue, am I missing a fuse box somewhere? If so, where is it, or is this another problem all together?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Gain access too the rear of the helm. Make sure that the wires are all still connected to the master power switch and the breaker below it is not tripped. If it is, you will lose that panel. If all wires are still attached and the breaker is not tripped, replace the master power switch, as it failed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charles,
Getting access to the rear of the helm In the Sunesta 232 Deck boat is very difficult. Behind the helm is the bathroom and there is a 4" x 12" piece of carpet that is snapped onto the wall opening behind the gauges, but it's impossible to see anything through this small opening where the wiring/switches are for the lights/bilge/horn/depth finder. I would have to take the wall of the bathroom out to see everything and get access and I'm not sure it will come out.There is a main power cut off in the engine compartment and there is a main breaker box in that same compartment. Is that what you were talking about? Or are you certain there is another main power switch and breaker behind the helm of the 1998 Chaparral Sunesta 232 deck boat? Just want to make sure before I start taking the wall of the bathroom out to find a power switch and breaker.Thanks for your help,Dale
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dale, Most boats like this have a switch on the dash labeled Master Power. If you do not have one of these, remove the screws that hold the switch panel that you lost power on, and pull that panel out some. Look on the back of it and you will see either orange or red wires going from one breaker to the other. Make sure that the one that comes from the boat harness is still connected and has voltage going to it. A multimeter would be handy here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check on this tomorrow when I get back home and see if I can identify the issue by doing this. Thanks!Dale
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Dale. Let me know what you find.