Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I start my 1990 Searay 220DA and the engine runs almost 10

Customer Question

I start my 1990 Searay 220DA and the engine runs almost 10 minutes and dies along with all of the electrical systems on the boat. I re-start the engine starts right-up within seconds after it quit. Then dies again less than 9 minutes later along with the rest of the electrical. the same routine happens on an on in a shorter period of time.
Please help
Paul
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul, my name is Jason.
If everything is dying the boat you could have a bad battery, or poor connections to the battery. Have you replaced, or had the battery load tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Imade sure the terminals were clean ant tight but I haven't checked the the batteries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try right now
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When you say all electrical systems also die. Are you talking about the lights, the horn, the radio ect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I disconnected the wires to the batteries and connected the tester; they both were at the high side of the green and didn't move when I applied the load test
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Back up a second. Do you have a battery load tester?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did the coil inside of the tester get hot when you hit the button?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let's continue like this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No the coil did not get hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Go and double check the load tester on a car battery just to make sure the tester isn't dead.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the tester on a boat battery and the test guage coil didn't get hot.
I tried the test on a brand new battery and it had the same results as the boat batteries.
I tried it on a bad battery andit was lwer in the green but when I put the load to it the needle went to the red (bad) and the coil heated-up.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That is odd, so I just want to confirm. The coil did not get hot on the boat battery and also a brand new battery, am I understanding you correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that's correct
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Will the engine crank over now with that same battery that according to your tester is dead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dead battery is one that we had from a piece of equipment. Both batteries on the boat tested green (good)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You said the coil did not get hot though on the boat batteries. Did I understand you correctly on that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The batteries on the boat tested good without getting the coil on the tester hot
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?I need you to test the voltage on the circuit breaker on the engine both terminals. Do you have voltage? Then I need you to test for voltage at the key switch red/purple and purple wires key on. Do you have voltage? These tests must be done when the engine dies. Can you do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Tan,
I don't have a voltage (ohms) meter.
Within second after the boat dying, it starts right-up.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok go to the engine and disconnect the main engine harness connection check the pins for corrosion and misalignment. This plug is where the boat harness connects to the engine harness. These plugs can work loose and cause an issue like you are having. The other issue is a possible loose connection at the ignition coil or key switch. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had done that yesterday and it has a hose clamp witch I had reconnected and had it more secure than before, The posts look very clean.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok what your going to have to do is connect a volt meter to the purple wire on the ignition coil and watch the voltage when the engine quits. You are loosing voltage we just have to determine where. If the voltage drops off at the engine then we need to check the voltage at the key switch purple wire same test. If voltage drops off then we have to go to the circuit breaker on the engine and check for voltage loss at the breaker. So what we are doing is following the voltage path back to the source. If you don't loose voltage at one of these points the point you tested before this point is the problem. Now this is going to be time consuming and a pain to track down but this is the only way. And it has to be done in this order if you jump around you will not find the problem as quick. Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The path the voltage goes is like this. The voltage starts at the starter red/purple then goes to the circuit breaker from circuit breaker to the key switch. Key switch to the kill switch if you have one then to the ignition coil. This should get you to the problem but if you still have an issue please post back. Post back with findings. Thank you......Tan