Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2000 sea Ray 210 with a Mercruiser 5.0 I have an alarm

Customer Question

I have a 2000 sea Ray 210 with a Mercruiser 5.0 I have an alarm that goes off once every 3 or4 seconds. I took it to a dealer and they hooked it up to a scanner and it showed no codes. They told me everything was fine. It doesn't seem to have full power, it struggles to get up on a plane. I still have the alarm going off and don't know what to do. Can you help?
Category: Boat
Expert:  briggs archer replied 1 year ago.
The alarm going off every 3-4 seconds is the computer signaling that one of the inputs is not provided and a default setting is active. The computer will not set a fault code if the values are within parameters but. it will go into guardian mode (limits engine to 2000 RPM). The engine must be scanned with a lap top in order to read the input values. Hint : most common-Connector to water pressure sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This motor does not have a water pressure sensor. They hooked it up to a scanner and a laptop with no codes. It seems to run good, and run up to up to 4800rpms, it just struggles to get there and it didn't use to do that.
Rpm good. Does it still set an alarm? .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the alarm stays on.
There are two situations that effect the alarm system if the sensors sending proper signals. The alarm circuit is the most vulnerable circuit in the computer 1) A wire in the alarm circuit is chafed and touching ground. 2) The electrical system has been hit by lightning and burned the alarm circuit in the computer. Switch a known good engine computer with your engine to confirm. As for the Struggle to get on plane maybe, the injectors need to be cleaned or checked for proper operation. A fuel injector cleaner will help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well I will start checking all the grounds, It hasn't been hit by lightning, but it could have a chafed wire.As for the fuel injection, its a throttle body, and I have wondered if the computer has cut the fuel back. I was thinking about running it in the water and at w.o.t. try misting fuel into the top of the throttle body to see if that helps or not. What do you think about that idea?
Actually, I would like to use that trouble shooting technique. The only reason the computer would cut the fuel back is if the MAP air pressure sensor felt a higher pressure or, the ETC temp sensor felt a hot engine or the knock sensor caused a non-advance in ignition timing. OH, and make sure the fuel pressure is 30 PSI or better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll check the grounds and the fuel pressure.
Standing by
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate it. Im trying to come up with some fittings to be able to hook up a fuel pressure gauge on the throttle body so I can see what it is. It rained here today so I wasn't able to water test it while misting fuel into the throttle body. Thanks for being patient.
you are welcome.