Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My merc 5.0 won't start. I have horn bilge blower and stereo

Customer Question

My merc 5.0 won't start. I have horn bilge blower and stereo working but no other gauges.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you check the main circuit breaker on the engine? Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried pushing circuit breaker on engine and resetting. No diff. Don't have voltmeterr
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you locate the start solenoid on top of the engine close to the circuit breaker? This is what the solenoid looks like. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/images/89-96158T_site.jpg Jump the 2 large terminals together does engine crank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I use to jump across it
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
A screw drive works well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the solenoid have the cable in the middle going to the distributor cap?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No that is the ignition coil. I posted a link so you would know what a solenoid looks like. Click on this link. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/images/89-96158T_site.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw your link but I can't see the solenoid. Isn't it at the back bottom left of engine?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That's the ignition coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's pic of top of my engine
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok lets try this do your gauges at the dash come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But horn, bilge, blower and stereo work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And trim works
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the fuse on the starter is blown.All the accessories that work are on a different circuit from the engine. The fuse # ***** (79032A91) is down on the large terminal of the starter. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/5.0L%20Alpha%20Bravo%20Carb%20-%20%28305CID%20V8%29/0W650000%20%26%20Up/Starter%20Motor/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured it was something like that. I'm going to have to go by feel. Is that at the front of the starter then? Or the back?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That will be at the front of the starter where the battery cable connects to the start solenoid on the starter. In this pic the white box with the red battery cable is the fuse. http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx335/jhashey/IMG_0282.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I felt it
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yeah those can be a bear to get to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it disconnected from starter. Is the fuse inside the white block or is the whole white block the fuse?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The whole white block is the fuse. This is a 90 amp fuse and you will have to get it from a dealer. Or someone that carries Mercruiser parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how the heck I'm going to get it out of there
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
There is a small nut holding the smaller wires. I know they are a bear to get to in some boats wait till you have to change the starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya there's a washer with a collar on it so u can't put a socket on it and u can only get 1 hand in there :(
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Got it off. How can u tell if it's blown ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was fine last fall. This is my first attempt to start boat this yesr
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Did you have the battery disconnected?Did you happen to cross the cables?Did the cables arc when you connected them?