Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2004 Fourwinns 180 horizon. When trying to start it

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Fourwinns 180 horizon. When trying to start it the engine will turn over and start but the second I release the key it dies. Ran fine the last two days
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the make, model and serial number of the engine please?Do the gauges come on when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Volvo penta 4.3 L. The gauges come on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't currently have engine #. Not with the boat right now
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do but won't be able to do it until tomorrow. Getting dark here in Ohio. Sorry. Should have contacted you when I was with the boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That's ok I will be on tomorrow. I work 8am to 7 pm PST.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'll contact you tomorrow then. FYI, it was running fine the last two days then coming in to the dock yesterday it had a backfire when I throttled back in the no wake zone. Could that have anything to do with this?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
It's possible. Loss of voltage will cause a symp***** *****ke this. We could have something as simple as a loose connection. We have to find that connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'll contact you tomorrow. Is there anything special I need to do to get in touch with you?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No just post back like you have been. I might not respond right away but it won't be more than 1/2 hour.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome...