Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Mercury throttle on 2004 125 Mercury salt series keeps getting

Customer Question

Mercury throttle on 2004 125 Mercury salt series keeps getting fouled up- by that I mean the neutral only button won't engage. I have taken the whole thing apart several times and put it back together and have been able to fix the problem. Other times it won't find reverse or forward, which is a problem when navigating tight quarters around a dock. Today I had to do a complete rebuild out on the water, got it put back together so the neutral button was working, but still wouldn't start. stripped it done again and found that the electrical circuit wasn't completing, fixed that and after drifting in ocean for an hour and half was on my way. It is a pretty simple design what am I missing that it keeps happening? Thanks very much for any info!
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what other details do you need?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a 3000 series
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What happens with the box is that the Neutral only button will stick when depressed, this will cause the control to not want to shift, even after you have come back to Neutral. the repair for this is to replace that mechinisium, or the entire control box. Problem with that is that Mercury is phasing out the 3000 series in favor of the 4500 series Gen II box. Going to one if these would mean that you would need to get new control cables as well. But the shifting of a Gen II is much smoother than the Gen I.
Does that answer your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which mechanism are you referring to, the guts of the whole thing? That seems silly. When it first happened six years ago, I brought it back to the dealer and they "rebuilt it" to the tune of 350.00, which is what a new throttle would have cost of me. My guess is they did what I have done numerous times- take it apart, rebuild it, and it works for a while. I was hoping that there was a specific part that you would identify that was worn out that could be replaced- but that doesn't seem to be the case. I will look into an aftermarket part that uses the same cables, as I had those replaced three years ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
There is a part. Let me locate the diagram and I will get you the number.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
This is the part that sticks. It is also NLA from Mercury, but I found this one on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/856632A12-NEW-Mercury-Quicksilver-Shaft-Assembly-Assy-for-Remote-Control-/151740407415