Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My bow thruster is not working. The solenoid makes a clicking

Customer Question

My bow thruster is not working. The solenoid makes a clicking noise and the motors belt moves a notch at a time while the clicking noise happens
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** belt moves, the solenoid must be working,Do you have the make and model of your bow thruster?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes volvo BP1200. The belt moves but it does at a speed of 1/2 of an inch by a secod. In other words, it is not even completeing a full rotation which i dont believe will even move the propeller...
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
It seems you have a problem with either the motor or the thruster.
Can you remove the belt and see if the motor runs while disconnected from the drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to switch to a call but im not on the boat right now. Im planning to be there at around 5PM NY time...
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.
Just for reference, here's a parts diagram,
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-47702300-82-19.aspx
5PM NY time will be 8PM my time, I'll be here.
I would remove the belt, check if the motor runs and try turning the drive pulley by hand.