Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1999 20 hp mercury outboard,no spark. wont start.

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the stop switch. Does the engine have spark? Could I get the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serial number is ***** readable what I can make out is 6 g55 1898 but there is a void stamp over it. It has no spark
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok did you disconnect the stop switch and check for spark? Is this engine a 2 or 4 stroke?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, where is the stop switch. Engine is 2 stroke
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The stop switch should be a button you push to turn off the engine. Now if you have a remote control with a key switch we will need to disconnect the black/yellow on the switch box on the motor. # ***** is the switch box on the engine. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/20%20%282%20CYL.%29/0P325500%20%26%20Up/Ignition-Electrical%20Components/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not have a kill switch
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
How do you turn the engine off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I guess the key is the kill switch
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I mentioned that. "Now if you have a remote control with a key switch we will need to disconnect the black/yellow on the switch box on the motor." Then I posted this link to see the switch box. This is where you need to disconnect the black/yellow. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/20%20%282%20CYL.%29/0P325500%20%26%20Up/Ignition-Electrical%20Components/parts.html # ***** is the switch box on the engine.