Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

20003 50 elpto 0t604224 I had a regulator failure that destroyed

Customer Question

20003 50 elpto 0t604224
I had a regulator failure that destroyed all wiring. Bought all new harnesses, regulator which has a fuse the original did not, speed limiter, starter solenoid, new spark plugs, cleaned carbs. Started up ran perfect full rpm perfect idle. Second outing first day everything running perfect, second day cruising at about 4000 rpm it bogged and would not run but 3000. made it back to landing and it would not idle below about 1500rpm.
Checked all cdm modules by grounding the plugs at start rpm all are firing. removed and checked all carbs found nothing. Checked compression about 110-115 all three cylinders.
Checked fuel filter. checked all cdm modules with ohm meter all are in spec for the diodes, pin 1 to the high tension lead where slightly under the ohm range, but all three read the same. Checked stator coils white green/ green white 700 ohms. Changed the cdm modules to other positions #2 and#3 to number 1 position, made no difference.
# ***** cylinder seems to be the one not running properly, because that plug seems to be the wettest of the 3. I will run a spark test with the 7/16 spark tester on each cdm next
All I have is a digital volt meter with hold, but I'm not sure it would read the trigger voltage. The manual says to use a dva meter. Is it possible for the trigger to be messing up on one cylinder. I have marked the top of the flywheel with white paint for all cylinders at top dead center and plan to use a timing light while running to see if I can detect a misfire. I can't afford to start changing parts to find the problem. What do you think, I am a retired engineer but no experience working on outboards.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
I have a few questions for you.
What color is the fuel line from the engine to the boat?
Has any work been done to the engine recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel line Is grey purchased at Walmart about a year ago. No work to the engine except what I wrote earlier
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Alright, are you near the boat now and can do a few tests? These are engine off tests.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I am not but what would you like to check
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Remove the trim relays from the right side of the block. Then remove the outer hose from the fuel pump. Remove the two 5/16" bolts that hold the pump to the block. Squeeze the primer bulb. Do you get any fuel from the front or the back of the pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I do this tomorrow and then answer you its raining here
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Surely. I will be online for most all day. I am in the CST.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing from the front or back of pump
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Good.
Can you move the throttle lever by hand from idle to full and see if on the way back, there are nay hang ups. I have seen it stick on a zip tie before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
forget the phone call and any more replies I don't feel that this conversation is going to fix my problem.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
No worries. Good luck with the engine.