Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 5.0 Gi volvo penta motor model # ***** in my

Customer Question

I have a 5.0 Gi volvo penta motor model # ***** in my boat, Jason has helped me figure out I have a fuel pump problem, this boat has two fuel pumps low and high pressure is what I was told by the part store is this true and how do I know which one to
replace? The fuel pressure will get to 19 pounds when I'm on the water, very slowly.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Casey. Can you double check that model number for me, something isn't right with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason that is the model #50FBPBYC with ser# ***** I found the second fuel pump it sits on a little tank at the rear of the motor near the distributor I know now that it is the high pressure pump and there are a lot of people with the same problem they say its the black coating on the inside of the pump coming off because of the ethanol in gasoline eating the coating and clogging the micron filter. Is there a pump available with out the coating? they want 260.00 for the black pump at the dealer around my house. should the low pressure pump be replaced also at the same time?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. You would want to replace the pump in the vapor tank first. And then only move on to the low pressure pump if need be. If you click this link below, the pump is #20, and these guys sell it for 202, so that will save you a few bucks. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/SternDrive/1998/50FBPBYC/FUEL%20SYSTEM%20&%20INTAKE%20MANIFOLD%20--%20TBI%20MODELS/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey thanks I ordered the part should be here tuesday wednesday found it on boatpartheheadquarters.com for 169.99 plus shipping and taxes in case you get the same request for that part.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully it works out for you.