Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 200hp Mainer 1996. When I try starting the engine

Customer Question

I have a 200hp Mainer 1996. When I try starting the engine turns over for a few seconds
and stops but you hear a humming sound. this problem is intermittent. What could cause this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
The humming is the starter motor. There are 3 real things that would cause that.
1. Bad starter
2. Bad starter relay
3. Anything that would cause low voltage to the starter, such as a weak battery, or poor connections.
What you would do is check voltage at the starter with the starter activated. It needs to be 9.5V or better. If it is, then it would be a bad starter. If it is low, then you would start by removing the power and ground cables and cleaning everything up with sandpaper, and then re-attach the cables. If voltage is still low, then you would replace the starter relay. Does that all make sense to you?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jason