Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have oil analysis showing sodium 290 on generator, 61 on

Customer Question

I have oil analysis showing sodium 290 on generator, 61 on port and 193 on starboard enginess.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Do you have records of previous oil samples analysis's on these engines? And if yes, have they shown sodium in the past as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normal in 2006
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the levels I sent very high? Are you on line?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Donnie
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Donnie. For oil samples to be of any real use there needs to be one done once year. Reading on off samples, or 2 samples 9 years apart really doesn't tell you anything because there are so many different causes for sodium (and other elements). It can be signs of a coolant leak. It can also be an additive in certain brands of oil. It can also just be picking it up from the salt air. Really what needs to happen is all 3 engines need the oil changed. And then they need to get run hard for 10 to 15 hours. And then a new sample taken. If sodium doesn't come back, then it's nothing to worry about. If it does, then that shows that there might be a potential coolant issue. Does that make sense to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I intend on doing that, I was just curious if these levels were very high. I can't talk on the phone right now, I am on a cruise ship. It seems strange that all engines had high sodium and everything else shoed normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Suppose to close on the boat Tues and not able to change oil and run 10 hours or so.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
200 PPM is the threshold as far as what is potential cause for concern. So the port engine is fine. The starboard is close to that threshold. And then the Generator is obviously over.
Do these engines have relatively low hours on them? If they do seeing high sodium is on the normal side as they oil in the crancaskcases are just picking it up from the air.
Did you have any further questions on the engine?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jason