Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a Suzuki DT 225 outboard motor that had a cracked lower

Customer Question

I have a Suzuki DT 225 outboard motor that had a cracked lower unit,so i removed disassembled it and had it welded,then reassembled using all new seals,impeller and bearing carrier ,all of the gears shift assembly and dog gears were in great shape,i took the boat out to the lake and forward gear was fine but i didn't have reverse,after using the bout most of that day i was coming back in and running full throttle and forward would jump out of gear,so i took took the boat back to my garage and tried adjusting the shift fork for about three days and still could not get it locked into forward and reverse.What am i missing?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Your problem is going to lie in the shift rod under the cap on the gear case. This diagram shows how it should be assembled. Make sure that yours looks just like this.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Suzuki/Outboard/2001/DT225/SHIFT%20ROD/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Charles,for the info but i have the Suzuki service manual and also looked on brownpoint.com,when i disassembled the lower unit i replaced all the seals including the shift rod seals,if you look at the parts diagram you will see there is a total of 6 parts on the top of the housing,but when i took it apart there was 7 parts,i had a small nylon washer about 5/8" diameter and the seal kit had the same washer but when i was reassembling i tried using the washer but couldn't get the top seal and keeper ring on right, i didn't think when i took it apart to see were it was and of course its not on the parts diagram,but everything went back together right.I have looked all over the internet and on youtube to see if there was any install information,i don't know if this washer would have any effect in adjusting the shift pattern.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Does your washer look like part 21 in the diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't autorizie a phone call if thy are going to charge ne$18.00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No part# ***** is a steel flat washer,and the nylon one i am refering to is to small it will fall right through
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I cant talk on the phone right now. I had dental surgery on Fri. Still really swollen.
Can you send me a pic of that washer?