Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Have a Mercury 9.9 Big Foot. Starts in neutral only at full

Customer Question

Have a Mercury 9.9 Big Foot. Starts in neutral only at full throttle. When I try to slow it down or get into gear - engine dies
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What is the serial number on the engine, is it a 2 or 4 stroke? Has the engine been sitting for a long time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9.9 Mercury pro kicker. Think 4-stroke. Model yr is 2011 . Yes it was sitting for a while. but marine mechanic said he see trialled it before delivering. My hunch is he did not run dry. This said - it starts no problem in neutral at full throttle. But immediately stalls/quits when you put it into gear. It is my back-up engine. The main is a Merc Verado 250
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Ian
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian. If it's not idling the idle circuit inside of the carb is going to be clogged up and not flowing the proper amount of fuel for idle. It would have to come off, come apart, and be cleaned in an ultrasonic machine. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it idles in neutral?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I miss understood you here. You wrote " Starts in neutral only at full throttle. When I try to slow it down or get into gear - engine dies" Starting with the first one. You said it start in neutral only at full throttle. So will it not start at idle???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is proper way to run and make sure no problems if 2-3 weeks between use? Run dry? Any fuel stabilizer you recommend? Have had problems with the 9.9 since day 1. Carburetor has been replaced multiple times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never tried to start at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have to go
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does the engine idle at all? You also wrote that when you try to slow it down or get it into gear it dies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill read when back. Thx
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Post back when you want to continue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer and I'll read when back thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I still don't understand what your problem is. At first you have me the impression that it would not idle. Then you told me it would idle. So I don't know which it is.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If there is still some confusion we can set this up for phone service if you prefer. Alot of folks do prefer the phone over the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine starts when I put in full throttle and idles. Then when I de-throttle it dies before I can get into gear.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The basic sets of checks before getting to the carb is checking compression, checking spark output, and checking ignition timing. Have those checks been done at all? Is the timing set properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey back again. I believe all those checks have been done. I start engine in neutral at full throttle. Then when I move throttle to idle it stops and can never get into gear. Understand?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** follow what you are saying.
This is what I need you to do. first, make sure that there is no water in the fuel going to the kicker. Even though it may share a tank with the 250, there could still be some water in it.
Then, leave the throttle alone. Open the choke, press the start button, will the engine even try to start at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check for water in the fuel ?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Remove the fuel line from the engine, then use the primer bulb and pump some into a glass jar.