Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Just rebuilt an 84 evinrude 50hp. Now the starter is a tugging

Customer Question

Just rebuilt an 84 evinrude 50hp. Now the starter is a tugging to turn the engine over. Engine spins fine with plugs out. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter is struggling and not turning the engine over
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Couple possibilities. Make sure the battery is fully charged and holding a charge. The starter could be worn out, dirty internally not allowing it to work well.The battery cables may be internally corroded or the connections corroded, and not tight. The third possability is the start solenoid is internally corroded.Get a voltmeter and put it on the battery cable to the starter solenoid, see what your voltage is. Then check on the other side, the large cable going to the starter. Crank the engine see if the voltage is close.Next do the same on the starter.Chances are the starter is defective and will need to be rebuilt or replaced.Post back your readings and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is hot. 12.46 volts. Checked voltages on both sides, 12.46 volts. Voltage drops when the starter is under load, drops to 9v. Replaced solenoid with new. Same readings. Engine spins over strong with plugs removed. Is it possible the machine work and new pistons are too tight?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
No, if the engine turns over fine by hand you are OK. Dropping to 9 volts tells me the starter is bad. It isn't a hard rebuild, you will need a brush set lots of spray electronic cleaner, some 600 sandpaper wet/dry, and a couple drops of oil.Remove the starter.Remove the two long screws.The starter will come apart. Clean everything throughly.Remove the brushes.Clean the commutator with the sandpaper until shiny.Get a plastic putty knife. Cut a notch in the knife so the armature will fit over it.Put 1 or 2 drops of oil in the base bearing.Put the brushes back in place and use the putty knife to hold them in place. Now carefully put the assembly together sliding the putty knife out. Replace the bolts and line the caps up with the notches. You're done.This should fix your problem.If you have more questions on this let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That makes sense. Before the rebuild the starter was manifesting symptoms like I'm having now. Now that the engine is all fresh and tight, the problem with the starter is worse. Not to mention the starter is a 1984 original. I'll try and clean the starter, in the mean while I've ordered a new one.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Great let me know how it goes, and if you need further help on this.Thanks