Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Have a 2006 horizon, 19 ft, i/o as boat comes up to speed,

Customer Question

have a 2006 horizon, 19 ft, i/o
as boat comes up to speed, the motor shuts down as if in neutral. It will not power up to
a full speed.
what may be the cause of this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? When you say the motor shuts down as in neutral. Is the engine loosing rpms or staling? Can you be more specific?Also, which engine do you have in the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason,
In answer to your question, the motor does not stall or quit. It seems to either slip into neutral or that it may have
a shut down for a unknown reason. Either way, the engine is still running, but will not proceed when put into gear
as seems like trying to step on a car gas pedal when car is in neutral.....you don't go anyway and yet engine is still
running...
Does this info help?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I gotcha. Are you famliar with what a propeller hub is?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The inside of the prop uses a hard, press fit rubber hub. The hub is what couples the propeller to the propeller shaft. It's design is sacrificial in that if you ever hit the bottom, hit a log, pick up some rope ect the hub would slip and sacrifice itself and spin so you don't damage the rest of the lower unit, gears, bearings and shafts. They spin if you hit something, and they also can spin if they are old props, as rubber does dry rot and shrink over time. Once they have spun, they will grab somewhat at lower rpms, and then let go when you really put the power down. And that is whey it feels like it is jumping into neutral on you.
Most people buy a new prop so they can use the boat right away. And You can send also the prop out to have it re-hubbed by a propeller repair shop. On average it runs 75 to 100 dollars. If you do not know where a propeller repair shop is in your area just call your closest dealer. This isn't brand specific, so you could call any dealer or boatyard, as all dealers/boatyards deal with propeller repair shops. And they will be able to tell you were your closest prop repair sop is, or they would just send it out for you.
I think that should do it. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I see that no rating has been done yet so I'm just checking in and seeing if any part of your question is not answered. If there was something I missed just let me know.
Thank you,
Jason