Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I own a 2006 135L opti, SN 1B242988 and the alarm came on while

Customer Question

I own a 2006 135L opti, SN 1B242988 and the alarm came on while trolling so I cut the engine off. I started the engine and and when I was at a high speed temp reading 170% I did not get an alarm, but when I reduced the speed and the temp. gauge drops to below 130% at trolling speed the alarm would sound. When I increased the speed the temp. goes above 130% the alarm will shut off. They thought it was an impeller and changed that and it still was doing the same as before. They took and hooked it up to the computer and one side was stabilizing at a temp. of 154 but the right side kelp raising to a temp. above 200 and the alarm would sound. Still lost I recommend that he check the thermostat. What could be the cause of this alarm?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
When they pulled the t-stats, was one stuck open? Like the port side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted an answer not a bill
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I have not sent you an answer yet. I am still looking for the cause. I ask a few questions to get to what I feel that I need, and then I give you my answer.
At that time, if you feel that it rates it, you provide a positive feed back for me and I then get my part of your question fee. I don't get anything until then.
Can you answer my question about the T-stats?
How did they test oil pressure on an Optimax?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not Know all they told is that it was good, and that one of the t-stats was stuck closed
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Your Opti does not have a way to check oil pressure. It just injects it into the air stream and then it is burned.With the temp readings that you gave me of 154 and over 200, that would sound the alarm for a cylinder head overheat. That alarm is a steady tone. It should have also been recording a thermostat fault on the ECU. The other item that can cause an overheat code is the air compressor. You can see the water that it flowing through it as it is the tale-tell. So there you have a few causes for this alarm. Do you have any other questions for me?