Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

40 horse 2-cycle while out this am, steam from H2O exit

Customer Question

40 horse 2-cycle while out this am, steam from H2O exit hole. stopped motor immediately, and paddled in to shore. short re-start produced H20 and apparently normal running. Haul-out, and again run, with "earmuffs---all OK
Impeller replaced <1 yr ago.
Was this temporary inlet obstruction (kelp), and is it ok to run w/o further exam? (watching H20 exit, of course.)??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Do a compression test on the engine. Make sure that it did not get hurt when it got hot. If it comes out as being over 100 and both cylinders are close together, the engine should be fine. Just keep an eye on the water flow from the engine.