Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I bought a Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke 3-4 years ago. We have an

Customer Question

I bought a Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke 3-4 years ago. We have an ignition problem and think we need an "igniter unit" Where can we get one quick?
The motor is 3.5 B MSU
Doug McGivney
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doug, my name is Jason.
The quickest way would be from a Tohatsu dealer. Do you have a Tohatsu dealer locally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It is far away and he did not have parts, took forever and charged during warranty.Where can we order the part?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, when I agreed to this service -it said that the introductory charge was 5.00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason,Where are you? I am awaiting an answer.Doug
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I don't know where you would get it quickly other than a dealer. You can order it from the internet from various sites, but it could take a while to get it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason,We have searched the internet and it is not available - even on the Tohatsu web site. Also, local dealer does not have it either and service before was not satisfactory.Please name a site that has such a part?Doug
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Doug, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
You can get that part from this site. It is part 2.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Tohatsu/Outboard/2008/MFS3.5A/MAGNETO/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charles,Thank you, ***** ***** we have the info and are about to check and order.Thanks again.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome. If you found my answer helpful, please put forth a positive rating for me.
Thanks,
Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles, I'm Doug's partner in the boat and Tohatsu. Thanks very much for alerting us to that web site, it is excellent! Only place I have found with the Tohatsu parts diagrams and numbers, which were unavailable even in a paid-service aftermarket service manual.However, afraid you missed asking one important question, which I had alerted Doug to, but he failed to include in his query - the fact that we have a "B" model motor; and, as he originally stated, it is more like a 2012, not near 2008.The 2012 "B" model uses a different igniter, with 2 wires rather than 3. We are in process of changing the order.Best, Christian
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for pointing that out Christian. I will keep that in mind.
Charles