Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

I ran my new Kawasaki Ultra LX last weekend and it ran fine.

Customer Question

I ran my new Kawasaki Ultra LX last weekend and it ran fine. I trailered it, put the cover over it and parked it in the lot. When I went to use it today, the battery was dead. The key was not in the ignition and the kill switch was not connected. The only thing I saw unusual was that craft was left in reverse. Could this run the battery down? If not, what could have? Thanks. Julian
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Julian, the ECU has a time out, leaving it in reverse will not have any effect on the state of the battery.
How do you know the battery is dead, does it click or do anything after you initiate the key and have the lanyard plugged in ?
Do you happen to have a volt meter where you can check the voltage at the battery ?
Also one other question, is this ski used in fresh or salt water and the last time you used it, would you happened to have flushed in out using a garden hose ?
Thanks
Kenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kenny,It clicked like it wanted to start turning over but there was not much more than a click and a momentary sound of an attempt to turn over. I did have the kill switch in place when I tried to crank it. The gauges came on but went off after my attempt to crank the motor. The ski has not been in salt water. I've run it in our local lake three times, for a good while each time, and it ran great every time.I don't have a volt meter but plan to take the ski to the dealership tomorrow. Don't know much about their service dept and wanted to see if I'd done something wrong that was simple.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, the first tipoff was when I attached the kill switch and put the key in, there was a red warning light and "bat" showed up on the screen.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
One important question you didn't answer, did you try flushing the ski on the hose before all this ?
Thanks
Kenny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kenny,No, I didn't. I guess I always thought you did that after running in salt water. Is that not right? Also, when I first put the kill switch and key in, a rred light came on on the instrument panel and the word "bat" appeared.Thanks,Julian
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Julian, sometimes when people flush these they get mixed up on the procedure and end up ingesting water into the engine, just want to make sure nothing like that is going on.
I believe you have a battery issue, that is where I would at least start, it looks like you might be taking this back to your dealer, let me know if you need further assistance
Thanks
Kenny