Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2000 Calabria cal air XTS with the mercruiser 350

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Calabria cal air XTS with the mercruiser 350 mag MPI. When I start it it makes a sucking sound through the intake idles up until the motor is reved or idles high enough to smooth out. Once it's smooth it will idle down and run smooth. Any help?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
I have 2 questions back to you.
1. All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number please as that will tell me exactly what you have.
2. Have you removed the throttle cable and ensured that the throttle is completely closed before starting it. There are a few things that can cause this issue but a sticking throttle cable, or one that is misadjusted or worn out would be one of those items.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Justin... Boat owner
I have a motor number of 0L393092I have not remove the throttle cable but I verified it closes against the stop
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Justin. It's going to be 1 of 2 problems. That being said it would have to get hooked up to a diagnostic computer to be 100% positive. Would a very good educated guess be okay, or do you need a concrete answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be nice to know for sure. I'm going to remove the arrester off of the intake and try to start it.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you need to know for sure then you will need to take it to a dealer and have it scanned, and it is not something I can help you with here. With any EFI engine there is no way to get a 100% concrete engine without hooking it up to a scan tool. I'm sorry but it doesn't sound like I can help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll keep trying to figure it out.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Good luck!