Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a Lewmar Bow truster model number 591481 140TT 200 amp

Customer Question

I have a Lewmar Bow truster model number 591481 140TT 200 amp breaker. When I hold the joy stick down it gets hot and won't come back on for a few minutes
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
I read what you wrote here, what kinds of questions do you have? Also, who installed this unit, yourself, or was it on the boat when you bought it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i in staw it my self
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
instaw it my self
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
These units are supposed to have fuses installed on the main power wires, not circuit breakers. Is there a reason you installed a breaker versus a fuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i talk to a lewmare he told me to put a 200 amp breaker on main wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it dose not alwas throw breaker it just will not come back until it cools off
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That is not correct. If you look at the installation instructions they specifically specify a fuse. The problem with breakers is that when you consistantly run al ot of current through them you can basically wear out the breaker. There is also a thermal breaker on the motor itself. The breaker is not supposed to be there. What you want to do is duplicate the problem and when it will not work, check for voltage out of the breaker. If there is no voltage, replace the main breaker with the correct size fuse. If there is voltage, then the problem is in the motor itself, and the motor is drawing to much current. Again I would replace the breaker with a fuse before replacing the thruster and see what happens. The problem with circuit breakers is you can get a voltage drop across the breaker. Which causes the thruster motor to starve for voltage. It ends up making the thruster want to work harder, which can burn it up. Fuses are preferable to breaker because voltage drop can happen across a breaker. But it can not happen across a fuse. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i try it
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back tomorrow or next week with follow up questions to this you still can even after doing a rating. And if I have saved you quite a bit of money, or saved you a trip to the dealer, tips are always greatly appreciated.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I see that no rating has been put through yet so I am just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Thanks,
Jason