Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 5kw Westerbeke generator that I had rebuilt a little

Customer Question

I have a 5kw Westerbeke generator that I had rebuilt a little over a year ago. Not the Diesel engine, just the back end. Just out of warranty.. It worked perfectly until a trip ago and the voltage dropped so low, it wouldn't product power when switched f on shore to generator. Of course I thought it was the switch for a while but it checked out. The generator however was producing 60 volts or less and variable. Can you help?
Thanks, Andy
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What this sounds like you had happen is that one of the winding for the generator stopped producing electricity and a voltage regulator had a diode failure and this is why you are seeing alternating current of the DC panel. I would talk to the guys that did it and see if you can work out a deal with then, as it only lasted a year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the AC voltage that is fluctuating between maybe 0 or over to 60 volts. Does that make a difference?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That takes out the regulator diode.
With the generator, you will have at least 3 windings that produce the voltage. If one fails, you will not be able to produce enough to run anything on. You should be double what you are getting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.