Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have Larson boat with 4.3 Volvo/Penta I/O and last few times

Customer Question

I have Larson boat with 4.3 Volvo/Penta I/O and last few times on water engine will not reach full throttle and lacks power. Very sluggish to where it won't plane out. Replaced fuel filter and no difference. What do I look at next? Pump? Relay?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
" And unless I crank the engine no fuel comes" This would depend on if it is a fuel injected or carbureted engine, fuel injection you would be checking fuel pressure and then checking pump, if pump is running and sending fuel then checking the regulator unless your saying fuel filter gets no fuel without cranking, if carb engine and running a mechanical fuel pump then this is normal and would not have fuel unless cranking the engine.
If fuel injected then connected a fuel pressure gauge and see if you have pressure key on engine off, if not and only when cranking then inspect the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump to start.
If not fuel related then next would be checking some other things but I would need to know exactly which engine you have or at the very least if it is fuel injected or carb.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.