Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I own a 14 ft. trihull Boston Whaler w a 40hp motor.

Customer Question

Hello. I own a 14 ft. trihull Boston Whaler w a 40hp motor. Is the boat strong enough to put a 10 hp next to the 40 for a back up ?
Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
If the boat is in excellent condition, no cracks or defects in the transom then yes it is strong enough. The Whalers were one of the first without wood in the transom.If your boat has the rounded transom they you'll need a bracket or wedges to mount it.If you have further questions on this let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is flat. There is a flat area on the left side of the motor mount. That is where I was thinking of mounting the 10hp. So I would need something to protect the fiberglass from damage ? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and it won't be too heavy in the rear of the boat ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there ???
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm here. Keep in mind although the site is here 24 hours I'm not.OK the transom on the whaler will carry it, Whalers have one of the strongest transoms of any boat due to the way it is constructed.Depends on which engine as far as the weight. A big 4 stroke may be a little too much weight, a light 2 stroke should be OK. If all of your weight is in the rear then you may need to move some of the weight more forward.You may also want to think about a smaller engine such as a 6 hp or even a 4. Less weight and still get you in.Another alternative would be an electric stern mounted trolling motor. Less weight still and would not have to worry about fuel lines, upkeep etc. and less expensive.You won't damage the fiberglass per se, however there are both soft and hard transom protectors available to keep the clamps from scratching.You should never exceed the max. capacity as on the data plate on the boat. So keep that in mind too. But as far as the transom, yes it will carry it.