Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

5.0 mercruiser idols few minutes then dies. Also dies

Customer Question

5.0 mercruiser idols for a few minutes then dies. Also dies when giving it throttle. Carborator was rebuilt last summer and have changed fuel filter
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** flame arrestor and close the choke plate on the top of the carb. Can you keep the engine idling closing the choke plate? How long has the engine been sitting?Did you put fuel stabilizer in the fuel?Do you use fuel with ethanol? Could I get the engine serial number please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine set since last summer
Just use octane 87 fuel
No stabilizer used
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok chances are the carb is dirty again. Try the choke test. By closing the choke slowly this will richen the fuel mixture. Allowing the engine to run better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try the next chance I get appreciate your advice
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
This is very common in boats that sit allot. What happens is the volatile part of the fuel evaporates leaving a gummy residue in the carb. When you go to use the engine the residue breaks up clogging the ports and jets causing the symptoms you are having. Post back with findings and questions. Thank you......Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
If the engine restarts after dying then we know you have a fuel related issue. Pointing to the carb also. Now if the engine doesn't rerstart then we do have an ignition issue. Either way post back with findings.