Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

1994 seadoo spx 2 new starters when installed gears are en

Customer Question

1994 seadoo spx 2 new starters when installed gears are engaged
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Here is a representation of the starter for this specific pwc: http://www.shopsbt.com/sea-1994-spx/sea-doo-starter-sp-gt-spi-gts-gtx-xp-spx-88-89.html
There is the starter gear and the bendix, I am wondering if you instead have a problem with the bendix, if not and the starter is engaging then check for a short in the wiring or a stuck relay, also check for a bad connection, you could have a wiring issue or stuck relay or low voltage/bad battery/cell which could cause this as well.
Remove the power from the starter or the neg cable from the battery and if the starter disengages then you know it is not related to the starter. You would then want to start by having the battery load tested and checking all connections, battery cables including the ground cable which commonly go bad and the starter relay as well as checking no power to small start signal connection on the relay unless trying to start. This would include checking start/stop switch is not stuck on as well.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.