Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1996 115hp evinrude that sputters over 4000 rpm.

Customer Question

I have a 1996 115hp evinrude that sputters over 4000 rpm. wondering what the problem is and if I can tackle myself?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motor may be the 1997 model - can check when I get home.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** post the engine model number then we know for sure what you have.This could be an ignition issue or a fuel issue. We can eliminate the fuel issue fairly easily. If it turns out to be an ignition issue it can get complicated. To check for a fuel related issue run the boat till it starts acting up push the choke in does the engine run better? If no change while engine is acting up squeeze the primer bulb does the engine run better? To find a misfire at high rpms we will need a timing light and another to drive the boat while checking for a misfire while engine is acting up. Can you do the fuel system checks? Do you have a timing light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do fuel system checks but don't currently have a timing light - used to though.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok lets go ahead with the fuel checks at least we can eliminate this as a possible issue. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motor is an 1997 model
Model # ***** ***** or E115ELEUC
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
It is a 1997 EU
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope to try out fuel test today.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok great keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Choke didn't do anything but squeezing primer bulb did.
Sputtering died down (not completely) and rpm increased to about 5,000 rpm.
Sputtering is noticed at slow idle and again around 4,500 to 4,600 rpm.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the primer bulb working tells us we have a fuel delivery issue. Now run the engine on an alternate fuel source. A gas can and a piece of hose connected at the primer bulb where you disconnected the boat side fuel supply. If engine runs better then we have a fuel restriction in the boat side fuel system. If no change then the fuel pump is failing. Do you follow this test?