Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

While running my 4-cylindar I/O in my driveway on earmuffs

Customer Question

While running my 4-cylindar I/O in my driveway on earmuffs I noticed water streaming down out of the boot connecting the outdrive to the engine. How big of a problem do I have? And can the boat be driven in the water?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Tan. Which bellows? There are 2 and it depends on which drive you have? What is the make model and serial number of the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at home (with access to my boat ) at this time. Did not realize that I would need that much detail. I can tell you it is the large, lower bellows, and the water appears to be spraying out near the clamp which secures it.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the lower bellows is for exhaust and the engine water coming out of the engine. You can run the boat with that bellows leaking or even completely removed. It just directs the exhaust and water out through the drive. This is water that has already gone through the engine. Is this the hose you are referring to # *****? http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/Alpha%20One%20Gen%20II%20%28Drive%20%26%20Transom%29/0L100040%20%26%20Up%20%281998%20AND%20UP%29/BELL%20HOUSING/parts.html