Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

We would like to transport our four winns boat to the cottage,

Customer Question

We would like to transport our four winns boat to the cottage, but cannot raise the propeller. The trim button causes a click in the engine that can be heard, but no movement. Any suggestions?
The boat has not been used for two summers due to weather but has been stored indoors
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Tan. This is going to be a bad connection weak battery or a bad solenoid/relay. Now I need the make model and serial number of the engine to know what system you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My engine is a 3-litre Volvo Penta. How can it be a bad solenoid/relay as the boat has not been in the weather to attract any moisture?
The serial number is(###) ###-####As for the battery--everything else turns on
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
How? Have you never had something defective when new? I will need the engine model number. Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage testing? These are model numbers. Which one do you have?3.0GLM-C, 3.0GLP-C3.0GLMMDA, 3.0GSPMDA3.0GLP-A, 3.0GLP-B, 3.0GLM-A, 3.0GLM-B, 3.0GSP-A, 3.0GSP-B, 3.0GSP-C, 3.0GSM-A, 3.0GSM-B, 3.0GSM-C3.0GLP-D3.0GLP-E3.0GLP-J, 3.0GLP-N3.0GSMBYMCE, 3.0GSPBYCCE3.0GSMEFS, 3.0GSPEFS3.0GSMHUB, 3.0GSPHUB3.0GSMLKD, 3.0GSPLKD3.0GSMNCA, 3.0GSMNCS, 3.0GSPNCA, 3.0GSPNCS3.0GSMWTR, 3.0GSMWTS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3.0 GLP-J and yes, I have a volt metre
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Does the trim motor make any noise when activating the trim button in either direction or just click?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it just clicks
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I need you to test the voltage at the battery connections on the engine when you activate the trim switch. What is your voltage reading? It is very unlikely you have to bad relays. So this will be a connection issue due to poor voltage delivery. Was the battery disconnected when it was stored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One battery 12 v, the other 8 v. The batteries were not disconnected as the boat is in a climate-controlled building
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok do you know if the 8 volt battery is connected to the trim and engine? The 8 volt battery would explain the clicking. Low voltage will not engage the repays and tilt the drive.
Can you charge the low battery or swap the batteries?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New battery......nothing!
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Do you still have 8 volts to the engine when cranking or activating the trim??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 volts when activating the trim with the new battery, 12 otherwise. Someone suggested jumping the solenoids, but I wouldn't know how to do that.
I am having trouble accessing this site, so cannot respond to you in a timely manner :(
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok you have a bad connection as you need 9.5+ volts. Check the battery connections on the battery and the engine be sure they are clean and tight. Both positive and negative. Be sure you have all the grounds connected at the battery. What it the model of your drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done. No change
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
9 volts is not enough voltage. Check your battery cable connections for broken or bad cable ends. Fat spots in the battery cables. Do you have a set of jumper cables that you can parallel with the boat cables to see if we can get proper voltage to the trim. Does the engine crank OK?