Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1999 Johnson 150 oceanpro on a 210cc seafox. It is

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Johnson 150 oceanpro on a 210cc seafox. It is leaking unused oil in the front under the air filter. Smokes a lot for first 5 min. I have been loosening cap on oil resorvor will stored think pressure was pushing oil. Can you help?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Hmmm.... Has this ever been any different for you in the past? Do you trailer the boat a lot? Or is the motor always vertical?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. It looks like you read my response and logged off. Did you try to send a reply back, as I did not receive one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stay on the tralor most of the time. The stand puts the motor at 45 Degress. Just notice it getting worse for past 5 hrs run time................ James
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi James.On these engines they were never EPA regulated. And it is normal to have a little bit of oil built up in the air cover because of the engines oil recirculation system. The other thing, and the reason I had asked about trailoring. Is because when you tilt it up it is also normal to have a bit of fuel/oil mix drip from the front of the carbs, which collects in the air cover. Over the course of a day the fuel in the fuel/oil mix evaporates, leaving the oil behind. The next time you start it up, the engine gets a big mouthful of oil, and that is what gives you the smoking. Does that all make sense so far?The next part of this is when you tilt it up you really should only get a little bit of fuel/oil mix, not a whole ton. If this has been getting worse on you it is a sign that the carbs might be getting a little dirty, and 1 or more of the carb inlet needles (which is attached to the float) is not closing all the way. Lastly, run it and double check to make sure the engine is actually heating up, and that both cylinder heads are getting hot. If the engine has a stuck open thermostat and it is not heating up that will also cause it to smoke more than it normally would. Did you have any further questions on the issue, or does that cover it for you?Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just had the carbs cleaned and he said they were jammed with oil. He cleaned it all out. Know when I start in vertical position oil is running down shaft from a pool under air cleaner. I want to take it back to shop , but was hoping to give him a new idea on maybe a vaule that regulates oil mixture that is stuck. Something that needs replacing OMS oil metering system?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Know when I start in vertical position oil is running down shaft from a pool under air cleaner Is oil leaking out of the front of the carbs when you start it. Is that something you have observed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see where it is coming from. I will take the air filter off this afternoon and see if I can tell
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what you find out.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I see that no rating has been put through yet so I am just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Thanks,
Jason