Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

What is the biggest within reason that a 14' bayliner capri

Customer Question

What is the biggest within reason that a 14' bayliner capri can use
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What is wrong with the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we go out to use the boat sometimes it goes accross the lake lickety split, then we slow down to just cruise around the lake and after that when you try to go up to full speed again it doesn't accelerate. It just chugs along. We have tried to have multiple marines in our area look at it but noone is willing due to the age of the engine and the type that it is. My husband is not mechanically inclined so it isn't like we can work on it ourselves. One gentleman suggest that it may be a coil but that doesn't mean anythign to us.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
Your boat is rated for p to a 50 HP engine. Now keep in mind that when the boat was made all that there was two stroke engines. They weigh less that the four stroke engines of today.
When shopping for a new engine look for the lightest 50 HP engine that you can get. Mercury and Honda are good choices.