Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2005 60 hp Mercury efi that giving me problem it will

Customer Question

I have a 2005 60 hp Mercury efi that giving me problem it will skip and sometime stall when warmed up so I put new plug in it and made it worse it skip so bad now that it won't eve rev up
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Would you please post the serial number of the engine?
What spark plug did you install?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed champions that what was in it I don't have serial number right now might be able to get it tommorrow when it first started doing this it seem like the coils where breaking down so I started taking wires off and I determined that it was missing on 3 and 4 so I took the plugs out and put them in 1 and two and the missfire followed the plugs so I thought I figured it out but tonight the thing barely runs
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
I will need the number to see exactly which ignition system that you have.
Tomorrow I will be online after 530 PM CST. I spend my days in a busy repair shop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Talk to you then.
Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind I got it running
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
What was the issue with the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed plugs but not the wires so today put wires on it and it seem to straitened up I had it on lake for two hour no probs
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Really,
I have never seen one of these with bad plug wires. That is a new one on me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
maybe its a fluke and plus I had it in lake last night all I had was the hose hook to it don't no if that makes a difference and plus last night the engine was tipped up alittle I herd there might be a safety switch so it prevents you from running right when it tipped up alittle is that true
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not convinced that it totally fixed yet I'll prob get stranded on lake somewhere lol
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
lets hope not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the problem with them because I'm not sure maybe it just a fluke that it ran today for two hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I'll get injectors cleaned as well but I don't now
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The coils?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought that to but I was trying get out of it cheaper the coils kind of would explain why it ran worse after I put new plugs in it but I thought that the wire explain that to how much are coils for that do you no
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Serial number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1c006257
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The 8M part number is ***** current one. Here that are 149 ea.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/60-efi-4-cyl4stroke/883875008/ignition-coil-mounting-1c104423-0p560349-and-below/