Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1996 Yamaha 115 saltwater series. It runs fine 85 % of the time but 15% of the ti

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Yamaha 115 saltwater series. It runs fine 85 % of the time but 15% of the time it will not get up on plane. It bogs down. It will eventually work but it appears to be getting worse. I have brought the boat to the dealer and they can not recreate the issue because its intermittent. They can't help me. Can you provide me with a couple of suggestions on what I can try to determine the issue? Ever run into this before?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I put the engine into neutral it will rev fine but under load (typically when tubing) it bogs down and will not get up on plane. Eventually it will work. But appears to be getting worse. Also it does not appear to have anything to do with a heat issue but I am not 100% sure. I did have a mouse get into the engine and chew some of the cover insulation making a nest that I cleaned out. Could some of the insulation get into the carb? I told the to the dealer about the insulation and they did not see anything. Boat runs great ~85% of the time.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a timing light or spark tester? When it is acting up, put a timing light on the #1 cylinder and see if you are getting steady flashes, then repeat on the other cylinders. This will help tell us if the problem is the ignition or fuel.If you are using a built in tank, remove the anti siphon valve. It is where the fuel line connects to the tank. Remove the hose barb and replace it with a full flow through barb from any auto parts store, don't get a steel one, brass or aluminum.We don't want a restriction.When it bogs down squeeze the primer bulb and see if the engine picks up speed, if so fuel pump or restriction of fuel.Try these and post back your results.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Don't forget to bookmark this thread.