Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 40 HP 2-stroke Yamaha outboard that was idling rough

Customer Question

I have a 40 HP 2-stroke Yamaha outboard that was idling rough and no horsepower when put in gear. Changed spark plugs, fuel line and bulb, cleaned fuel filter, blew out gas lines to carburetor and ran Seafoam through carbs twice. Noticed that when engines stalls, the fuel filter is not filled to top. Is this a fuel pump problem, a dirty carburetor, or something else?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? The problem can be any number of things. Testing starts with compression and spark output testing. Have you done those, or do you have the tools to do those?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
talking to jim did not test compression or sparkplug output do not have equipment.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim. All outboard compression testing starts with compression and spark output. It needs to be done one way or another. What kinds of questions do you have for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine runs and will idle but when you put it in gear it does not have the power to plane.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the engine is running, should the fuel filter bowl be full to the top at all times?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I need you to be specific as to your questions. The website basically advertises ask a question get an answer. That can mean ask a vague question get a vague answer. Ask a specific question get a specific answer. You are not really asking anything. I don't know what it is you want to know.
No the fuel filter bowl will not always be full.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the name and contact information of your supervisor?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today.
How long has your motor sat unused?
How old is the fuel?