Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Engine on Alpha 5.0 Wellcraft will not crank when when throttle

Customer Question

engine on Alpha 5.0 Wellcraft will not crank when when throttle only button is engaged ...in an position......help
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the gauges come on when you turn key to on position? If you put the control in the neutral position will the engine crank? The button has nothing to do with start the button ios for giving the engine throttle only. Could I get the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes gauges work in neutral, engine does not turn over at all when throttle only button is pressed in in any position, serial # *****
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes , but I cant go to boat now , still working ....what should I test for
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
We need to start out at the key switch and go to the motor. Test for voltage on the yellow/red wire key switch when key is in crank position. Do you have voltage? If you have voltage go to the engine and locate the start solenoid on the top of the engine just behind the carburetor. Test for voltage on the yellow/red with key in the start position do you have voltage? Then on the same solenoid jump the 2 large terminals together does the engine crank? Post back with findings. I will be here till 8pm PST.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't be able to try this till Wednesday, can i reply back then?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely I will be here. Thank you....Tan I work from 8am to 8 pm PST.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome no problem.